[pianotech] DC (was:To unplug or not to unplug)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 25 10:42:01 MST 2011

On 1/25/2011 11:30 AM, Alan Eder wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Thanks for the explanation--good information.
>
>     The lower the break% of the
>     wire, the more it reacts to minor tension changes.
>
> And those tension changes could be brought about by temperature and/or
> humidity changes, or is it temperature alone?

It's really noticeable with seasonal changes, which would be humidity.
It ought to work the same way with short term temperature changes, but I
haven't verified that. Has anyone out there had one of my pianos under
stage lights? When I'm laying out a new scale and bridges, I try to
minimize break% changes across struts by maintaining speaking length
progressions with adequate bridge doglegs. In the low tenor, a
transition bridge with wrapped bichords can substitute for the
foreshortened original low tenor wire, and get the break% up where it's
less reactive. Both of these things help tremendously. Add an epoxy
laminated cap, and the tuning becomes much more humidity change tolerant.
Ron N