[pianotech] Mac software for us?

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Jan 25 10:33:24 MST 2011

Ed,

I¹m a Mac user.  I ended up designing my own FileMaker Pro 7 database to use
on my 6-yr-old G4 PowerBook (non-Intel).  Not refined yet, but is working
great for me, and always a work in progress.  Also have one for the
University.  The beauty is I have total control over data fields,
appearance, etc. since I design it.  Of course, that meant a learning curve,
but I know other technicians who have done this very successfully.  I used
two posted templates (one in Journal last year ­ BYU maybe? and another from
somebody on one of our lists) as models.

I will probably be facing problems similar to yours since my Palm Centro
phone (synced to my Palm Desktop) is old, and Palm has stopped making Mac
Palm Desktop after OS X Tiger.  Will have to import all Palm calendar, memos
and contacts into Mac Address Book, iCal and [not sure what for memos] when
I get a new phone and/or computer.

If your client DB was FileMaker or similar for Mac Power PC, can you find an
older machine on which to open your backup and convert it to newer version
for your new computer?  Maybe use a thumb drive to transport your file to
someone else¹s computer, and the new version back to yours.  If you trust
someone, this could even be accomplished by emailing your file to someone,
letting them convert to newer version, and they email it back to you.

Just some ideas.  If I can figure out how to delete data, I could share my
FMP templates with you, but they¹re FMP 7, which is quite old.  Like I said,
at some point soon I¹ll be going through something similar, but plan to just
open my v7 file and let the newer version of FMP adapt it.  I hope...  :)

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com