[pianotech] DC (was:To unplug or not to unplug)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 25 11:43:38 MST 2011

On 1/25/2011 12:14 PM, Alan Eder wrote:

>     It's really noticeable with seasonal changes, which would be humidity.
>
> And if the seasonal changes are humidity-caused, and the soundboard is
> NOT actually rising and falling (as many of us had thought), what IS the
> humidity doing to effect the exaggerated changes in pitch in the low
> tenor and lower lower-treble areas?

The soundboard does rise and fall some, just not nearly enough to
account for what we hear in pitch changes. So what does? We have
pinblocks changing dimension as one possibility. That's a more direct
line thing than soundboard rising and falling, and only a very small
change would make a big difference. We have the bridge cap rising and
falling on the slanted bridge pins, which changes the length of the
string path. I think this is a big factor, since the tuning is so much
more stable with epoxy laminated caps. We also have the lossy
termination effect. A less hard termination of a vibrating string will
produce a lower effective frequency. As the soundboard panel expands in
wet seasons, it compresses and gets stiffer. In dry seasons, it gets
less stiff. At the same tension, a string will sound at a higher pitch
on this board in summer humidity than in winter dry heat.

So it isn't any one thing, or probably even any five things. No two
people agree on anything except soundboard rise and fall. What it's not
is the soundboard rising and falling.
Ron N