[pianotech] advertising

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 11:59:13 MST 2011

Marshall

In general, advertising is a crap shoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Back in St. Louis I used to advertise on the commercial classical music station. The ad manager told me that one of my competitors ran the same ad three different times of the year. The first time he got a lot of business from it, the second time he didn't get anything, as if no one was listening to the radio. The third time it was so so. I've discovered the same thing. I even ran a radio spot on the top rated station in St. Louis, and even during a Cardinal's baseball game, and it was a total waste of money.

The best place, now, is the Internet, as you're doing. But you don't have to pay for it. As you found out the google places are working, Craig's list has been successful for me. And I get quite a few calls from the PTG web site. Obviously you aren't able to do that, yet, but perhaps it will give you the incentive.

What doesn't work are "specialty" ads, like the bus, placemats, programs, etc. The only ones who make money are the people who sell you the ads.

Just hang in there, Marshall, It takes time to build up a tuning business. Your good work and honest business ethics are the best way to promote yourself. Unfortunately, you entered the field during one of the worst economic slumps this nation has seen since the depression. But the economy is slowly turning around, and soon your business will too.

Wim