[pianotech] advertising

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 25 21:21:19 MST 2011

On 1/25/2011 4:03 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:

> FWIW, in my area, RPT don't mean a thing.

I'm not sure it does anywhere, to the public.

> I've had - 2 - people in - 11 - years ask what RPT is - and - let alone
> - ask what the PTG is.

That's about right.

> At 11 years, still an Associate - not able to pass the aural tuning test.

Oh? If you are an Associate, shouldn't you be in the directory? You seem
to have been robbed, paying your dues and all and not getting a listing.
You really ought to look into that, maybe call Oprah. And if you have
such a low opinion of RPTs, why would you, if you actually have, test
for the qualification at all? Most sane folks wouldn't be particularly
bitter about failing to qualify for the Bottom Feeder Badge. But then
most sane folks wouldn't try for something they thought so little of in
the first place.

> Yesterday, I tuned for a lady that had a Steinway Model A, her mother's,
> that had always been tuned aurally by a local guy who used to tune for
> the local symphony. Her last tuning took 6 hours.

Very cute. Is this local guy a PTG member? Is he an RPT, or an Associate
that's not in the membership directory? Six hours??? Is he under 90
years of age, and not on a leash? Did he tune for the symphony more than
once? Was Garfield president at the time?

> After about two hours, I announced that I was done and for her to come a
> play something.

Two hours? With RCT? That's impressive.

> AND, the more she played, she started to tear up and by the time she
> played the whole piece, she was almost balling.

Two steps back, and check the exits, really.

> She blubbered out that her mother would have been proud of the way the
> piano sounded - and - that she never heard it sound so good.

I have no problem at all believing that.

> She agreed to pay me and she was going to call and cancel the aural tuner.
>
> She decided against giving me a check for the amount - and - gave me
> cash with a $30 tip.

Which, now being on public record, you'll cheerfully declare as income,
right?

> Finally, she was going to recommend to another lady up the street.
>
> I deduce a testimonial here.

I deduce somewhat different. What in the world is this about?
Ron N