[pianotech] how learn hear the beat?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 06:55:26 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM, seles tinus <seles_tinus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi list, i'm new in tune piano, may i know how's you learn to hear a beat
> when tune piano?does any tip can you share for me?
>
> Thanks
> Tinus

It would be very difficult (if not impossible) to help someone learn to hear
beats through an internet forum such as this. Beats happen at different
places, and it's hard to describe where to listen in the scale of a piano.
For instance, the interval of a perfect 5th produces two prominent beats,
each occurring at different coincident partials.

How to describe that, along with other coincident partials, is really beyond
the scope of this list. As someone else mentioned, get a mentor who is
skilled in aural tuning.

--
JF