[pianotech] how learn hear the beat?

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:42:38 MST 2011

Arthur Reblitz book has a pretty decent section describing the harmonic
series, and coincidental partials. Of course there is lots of information on
the internet these days to.

Having a mentor can really help. I can remember the first time I became
aware of the beat in a major third. WOW. It was like a whole new world
opened up that was there all the time but I never was aware of.

Learn the partial series and study where the partials of basic intervals
intersect so that you can know at what pitch to focus your ears.You can also
purchase a  "beat locator" from
http://www.colemantools.com/www.colemantools.com/index.shtml.

Close your eyes.
Turn your head to the side and move it around until you find the sweet spot.

Then keep your head still

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter