[pianotech] Yammy

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 26 03:53:15 MST 2011

A couple of thoughts here.  When I have a great many keys to ease in a
piano, I start by ironing the felt with a heated brass caul in the iron with
the heat regulator.  Pianotek sells them I believe.  You can quickly go
through a set in a controlled fashion without overeasing them, and then go
back to ease individuals by hand pliers if needed.

This may not be the issue however.  Yamaha does not use the best quality
bushing cloth, and  problems can quickly develop in pianos where they are
used heavily, such as a music school.  Are you hearing any chirping coming
from the keys?  That's an indication that the glue had wicked through  the
cloth and the pin is rubbing against the hardened glue.  No solution to that
other than rebushing.

Also, take out some of the worst offenders and look at the bushing cloth in
good light.  Are you seeing a cupping of the felt around where it rests on
the pin?  It may be only 2 years old, but it does not mean that the bushings
aren't severely worn already.  Again, replacement is the only option.  In
this circumstance, easing the bushings can make it worse, particularly where
there is a key offset, such as in the mid treble.

I have seen these kind of problems in P-22's for 20 years or more.   Why
Yamaha persists in using this quality cloth is beyond me.

Will Truitt