[pianotech] Aural Tunings & PTG Membership

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:23:00 MST 2011

Hello Everyone;
I feel rather unqualified to post opinions but I would like to contribute a
bit of my experiences. I began my piano technician's career at Berklee
College of Music and worked under the Boston Chapter PTG President for 3
years,(1980-83) sometimes tuning as many a 10 pianos a day, aurally (mostly
Yamaha's). In turn, I was assigned the duty of training students who wanted
to learn how to tune. Because of a shortage of work-study tuners, trainees
were allowed to use the EDT of that day--the Sanderson Sight-O-Tuner. These
worked well on the average piano played 23 hours a day but a recurrent
problem was that the trainees would be so fixated on the machine they would
forget to change the dial when tuning the next note up or down. Hence, I
would have to go about repairing broken strings or tuning 2 or 3 "A" or "B"
notes in a row. I warned students that learning to tune aurally may be the
highest expenditure of mental energy and concentration they may experience
in the musical field. My boss urged me at the time to join the PTG but I
just didn't have the money at the time (Long story!).
I started my own company specializing in antique player pianos restoration.
I couldn't wait to go to work each day and things went well until player
sales tanked in the mid-90's. I used my BA in music to teach in public
school but found it really stressful. I quit and joined the PTG 2 years
ago.I haven't regretted one minute nor one PTG penny spent on my education
through other technicians, chapter meetings, and PTG conferences. In so many
cases, tips from other technician's have saved me hours of work or from
making grave mistakes that could cost me my reputation.
Like many of you, I have rarely been asked (actually only once) if I was an
RPT; but for me it's not as much about the customer knowing that I'm an RPT
as it is about me striving for professionalism in every aspect of the trade
that I choose to endeavor. This includes customer relations as well as peer
relations.
I am presently trying out a trial version of Tune-Lab on my phone. It's
impressive to see how far EDT's have progressed since my college days but
it's also nice to know that when the phone battery dies or the 3-minute
delay comes up on the Tune-Lab I can go ahead with confidence knowing I have
the tools I need to continue doing the job aurally.
 My current goal is to gain RPT status by taking all of the exams and
getting back into the position in which I started--working as a CAUT;
although most customers might not care if there is a RPT after my name,
unless they know me and my work personally, college HR personnel will care.
Again, I would stress to any associate, to go for the RPT; we never know how
our desires may change or our health is impacted by aspects of what we do,
so we need to be well-rounded and educated to expand our options.
A Biblical proverb states, "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a
friend (Prov. 27:17). I find that this holds true with both praise and
constructive criticism. Thanks for all your posts!

Jim