[pianotech] advertising

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 22:15:23 MST 2011

My experience with ETD's is mostly with the tuning exam, which I have been
involved with since 1994. I have Tunelab on my netbook but have used it
mostly for exam/tutoring purposes. I have tuned a few pianos with it. I
think the argument about using it in noisy environments makes sense (I once
got called at the last minute to tune a piano in a gymnasium where the state
hand-bell conference was happening. And yes they were all warming up. Shoot
me now.)

I find the ETD cumbersome. I find that it makes the job more tedious. For
some strange reason I actually like tuning pianos. I like the feeling that
when I'm done that the tuning is completely a reflection of my skill. I get
all the credit! I like figuring out the puzzle that is each piano.

I am 100% convinced that many folks do terrific tunings with their ETD. I am
also 100% sure that there are some lousy aural tuners. So what?

Smiling still,

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter
Olympia, WA