[pianotech] aural tuning, wearing nice clothes

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:46:25 MST 2011

    I use an SAT most of the time, but it's in for service this
week, so I've been tuning aurally -- no problem, since that's
how I tuned for 20 years before buying the ETD (ETA)  (Device or
Aid?)

    Nice clothes -- as I posted a week ago or so, yeah, you can
look and feel more professional, and probably feel more
comfortable commanding a higher fee, but every time I put on
nicer-than-usual clothes, I end up, first appointment of the
day, having to crawl under a grand in the dog hair, dust
bunnies, and dirty floor to work on a loose pedal lyre or
something.  Or the dog comes up with his slobbery jowls and
drools all over your nice slacks.
    I used to wear a tie, but I already sweat very easily with
the slightest pressure of stress, tight scheduling, difficult
tuning, etc., or if the temperature is over 65 F., so now with
global warming and more casual dress standards, I just wear a
dress shirt, no tie, and nice slacks, but not too nice.
    Seems I end up on my knees on the floor or carpet an awful
lot since there's almost never a workbench right next to the
piano.  You either kneel on the floor and use the piano bench to
re-pin that jack or hammer butt, or kneel on the floor and work
out of your kit, kneel on the floor to remove bottom panels and
adjust pedals, to crawl under grands, OR remove the fallboard on
each and every piano and work on top of the keys for all these
little repairs -- re-pinning a hammer or two, re-bushing one key
mortise, whatever.  Not sure how to avoid working on the floor
on my knees, without carrying a fold-up table in the car.
C'mon, you're not gonna lug that into the home just to fix one
note!  Besides, the car's already packed to the gills.  It's
amazing how much stuff ya gotta carry around to avoid having to
make return trips just for one little repair.
    --David Nereson, RPT