[pianotech] aural tuning, wearing nice clothes

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 27 13:38:23 MST 2011

On 1/27/2011 1:46 AM, David Nereson wrote:
> You either kneel on the floor and use the piano bench to re-pin that
> jack or hammer butt, or kneel on the floor and work out of your kit,
> kneel on the floor to remove bottom panels and adjust pedals, to crawl
> under grands, OR remove the fallboard on each and every piano and work
> on top of the keys for all these little repairs -- re-pinning a hammer
> or two, re-bushing one key mortise, whatever.  Not sure how to avoid
> working on the floor on my knees, without carrying a fold-up table in
> the car. C'mon, you're not gonna lug that into the home just to fix
> one note!

It's really an easy decision for me: kneeling is very painful, so I only
do it during the process of leaning on the bench and getting down onto
the floor. And back up again, which is worse.

So I park my fanny on the bench, and do the work beside me on the bench,
(especially a duet bench) or on the keys, or I just pick it all up and
walk to the dining room table. I put something down, like a wad of
newspaper, or a shop towel, so I don't drip CA on the table top :-(,
etc. I use the shop towel a lot, wherever I do a little hand work, to
keep glue off the keys or case, to keep all the little bits together and
visible, etc.

Susan Kline