[pianotech] Dampp-Chaser Smart Bracket - no longer an option

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Thu Jan 27 08:29:52 MST 2011

As of the beginning of this year, the Dampp-Chasers without the Smart
Bracket (Pads Light) are no longer being sold. Apparently, since 85% of
technicians use the SB systems, the logic must be that the other 15%
just haven't "seen the light." But that's the problem. I've seen the
light! It's red, and it starts flashing about a week or two after
installation. That sort of thing generates a call-back, an unhappy
customer, and lost revenue. I'm going to contact Dampp Chaser to ask
them to reconsider making this an option and not forcing us to pay for
something we will never use. If you are in the minority like myself, I
hope you will also give them your feedback on this issue. Now if you
disagree strongly with me, as 85% of you are likely to do, please read
the rest of this email before responding.

Before I started installing Dampp Chasers, I was told by a number of
technicians in Arizona not to use the systems with pads lights. I had no
reason to doubt them, so I never bothered with the SB systems. But last
year I got curious and installed two Smart Brackets as a test, one on my
own Dampp Chaser, and one with a client that I knew would not mind the
experiment. Both started flashing a few days later with new pads. Both
were using purified, but not distilled, water.

I love Dampp-Chaser systems, and I have no doubt the Smart Brackets work
great for 85% of technicians. If I had to guess, I'd guess that it has
something to do with the fact 85% of users probably use tap water to
fill their tanks. Tap water is full of impurities that cause the sensors
to function more reliably. But in Arizona, the calcium content in tap
water is ridiculous, so we urge the clients to use purified water (or
distilled, as long as some treatment fluid is mixed in to make the
distilled water less inert so the level sensor works properly). I've had
clients who ignored my recommendation, but when they see the mess
created by the bricks of calcium that build up with just 6 months of
Arizona tap water, they immediately stop using tap water from that point
forward. My theory is that purified water, like that which comes from my
reverse osmosis system, is just too "clean" to give the SB sensor a
proper signal. It works fine with the level sensor that is immersed in
the water, but the contacts of the SB sensor are not immersed - they are
only touching the damp pads.