[pianotech] Fw: Tuning, was advertising

Daniel Carlton danielcarltondesign at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:41:34 MST 2011

I learned to tune aurally and tuned that way for the first 6 years.
Then when I started traveling out of town to work and trying to tune 4
or 5 a day, I decided to try a ETD. It did speed things up for sure,
but I've considered either going back to full aural tuning or setting
up the ETD to follow my temperament sequence, using it only as a
secondary reference if I'm having trouble, let’s say, on a really
difficult spinet.

What I miss about strictly aural tuning is the feeling of
accomplishment at the end. I miss the challenge. I miss knowing that I
took on this Bremen spinet and freaking conquered it.

I'm fully enveloped and immersed in the tuning process when I tune by
ear. I think of it like building a chest completely by hand, from
selecting the right woods to cutting the dovetails and carving the
legs, to sanding and finishing. You can do that or just go to Target
and buy one that just needs to be assembled. Just read the directions,
turn a few screws and, it's done.

I'm not arguing with anyone here about anything. This is simply the
way I feel in regard to my own tuning.

There.

Daniel Carlton