[pianotech] ETD tuning during temperature changes (private)

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Thu Jan 27 16:30:05 MST 2011

I have just read David's comments on ETD tuning as compared to aural tuning.
As I am an aural tuner, with absolutely no ETD experience, I find all his
comments interesting. Indeed I can tune a quality tune in similar time to
David. Pitch raises may not be as quick as with the machine, however, I
accomplish them in good time and in most cases quite accurately ready for
the fine tune.
I am contracted to a few major institutions who demand that their tuners do
not use EDT's. They prefer the traditional method, as it, in their opinion,
indicates an impression of a 'proper craftsman'.
My concern with their use, in the eyes of the public and the lay person, is
that if it is fine to use ETD's, then perhaps the piano is slowly becoming
out dated by the introduction of the digital instrument. (I refuse to call
them pianos). More and more people are purchasing digitals, particularly as
an introduction to music for their children. Is their use and popularity
going to mean the demise of the family piano? The use of EDT's may
psychologically suggest, that if their use is good enough for the tuner to
use, then perhaps digitals are as good, or a better option than a piano.
This electronic age controls our lives, and what a pity it would be if
traditional ways were gradually eroded away. Something to think about?
David Lawson OZ