[pianotech] ETD tuning during temperature changes (private)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 17:49:10 MST 2011

I don't think it's much to think about or be concerned about.  It's a leap
of logical reasoning that the use of ETDs will lead to the acoustic piano
becoming obsolete in the same way the use of ETDs will necessarily lead to
an erosion of aural skills.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

My concern with their use, in the eyes of the public and the lay person, is
that if it is fine to use ETD's, then perhaps the piano is slowly becoming
out dated by the introduction of the digital instrument. (I refuse to call
them pianos). More and more people are purchasing digitals, particularly as
an introduction to music for their children. Is their use and popularity
going to mean the demise of the family piano? The use of EDT's may
psychologically suggest, that if their use is good enough for the tuner to
use, then perhaps digitals are as good, or a better option than a piano.
This electronic age controls our lives, and what a pity it would be if
traditional ways were gradually eroded away. Something to think about?

David Lawson OZ