[pianotech] Steinway Grand

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Thu Jan 27 18:16:56 MST 2011

Hi, from snowy Ohio!  I saw something different today, and I thought I'd ask
the collective wisdom of the List about the Steinway I looked at today.
    I measured the piano, and came up with the size of an O or L @ 5' 10
1/2".  But when you look at all the places that have the serial number, I
found the same number (stamped in like it is original) C3060.  It is a
walnut finish, and has "windowpane" legs.  The original serial number on the
plate had been painted over , but what I found does not make sense to me.
Would the C and number indicate the style, and carry a different serial
number than a normal O or L?
    I looked on the top of the pedal lyre, the backs of the cheek blocks, on
the bottom of the fallboard, the back of the keyslip, and the front of the
keyframe.  All of those places have the C3060 number, and it looks like
original.  What gives with that?

Clark A. Sprague, RPT
csprague4 at woh.rr.com