[pianotech] aural tuning

Piano Boutique pianoboutique at comcast.net
Thu Jan 27 18:20:09 MST 2011

I have one of the four ETD's in the world.   I came from the Piano hospital and of coarse, I knew all the arguments for ear tuning.  then Varituner made four test tuners and I have acquired one.  I have tested it against my ear tuning that I have done for 38 years, and we are close enough that it is only separated by argument.

Now, I where earphones and it makes a low click for too flat and a higher click for too high.   When the string gets with-in two cents of perfect, it makes a swishing sound, again climbing up for too flat, and pushing down for too sharp.   Yes it did drive me buggy at first, but after a few tunings, it got rather workable.   I have only used it on pianos in the shop and getting ready to go out, but after a couple dozen tunings, it is a just fine tool and only as good as the hands that it is in.

William