[pianotech] Tuning, was advertising

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 19:40:28 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Thomas Cole <tcole at cruzio.com> wrote:

> One of the advantages of Cybertuner (I can't speak for the others) is that
> it is better than the ear for tuning smaller, poorly-scaled pianos. The ear
> tries to do a perfect tuning, which is an impossible task, especially over
> the break, but the ETD can do a very *acceptable* tuning (or, borrowing from
> Al Sanderson's parlance, you want to be equally unhappy with every note).
> This is also an opportunity to convert the tuning to a Victorian temperament
> if people are mostly playing in the easy keys.
>
> Tom Cole

Um ... I disagree with that first statement. It needs qualification. Totally
depends on who is doing the tuning: both the aural tuning and with the ETD.

I haven't used RCT, but used the Verituner for a couple of years. After I
finally woke up from that drug, and began to listen again, I found that it
was less than satisfactory on the scale-challenged pianos.

There were workarounds and advice offered on mystic tongue-holding, but I
couldn't make it work to my satisfaction. Well, take that back. I could
have. But the time it took!! You had to use special "programs" that blended
octave styles. It was never certain whether that one would work for your
piano, so then you had to tune several A's first to see if it would work.
And you might have to tune sections of the piano first to see if it would
work over the break. Then change if it didn't. That's when I decided if it
was that much work to get it done correctly, I'd just go back to aural
tuning. Heck, I was now listening anyway ... why ... not ... just ...
listen?

I agree with the second statement. Yes, an ETD is very convenient for
non-equal tunings.

--
JF