[pianotech] Tuning, was advertising

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Thu Jan 27 16:50:55 MST 2011

You also have the option of entering temperaments that are not bundled
with the software. I've gotten requests lately for the Bach-Lehman
temperament, plus a couple of Maria Reynolds tunings and a Lou Harrison
7-limit just intonation (these last two are really stinky).

One of the advantages of Cybertuner (I can't speak for the others) is
that it is better than the ear for tuning smaller, poorly-scaled pianos.
The ear tries to do a perfect tuning, which is an impossible task,
especially over the break, but the ETD can do a very *acceptable* tuning
(or, borrowing from Al Sanderson's parlance, you want to be equally
unhappy with every note). This is also an opportunity to convert the
tuning to a Victorian temperament if people are mostly playing in the
easy keys.

Tom Cole