[pianotech] The big discussion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 27 21:19:21 MST 2011

On 1/27/2011 3:59 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> If I have to keep tuning beyond my ability to hear it, I'll most
> certainly buy and use one.

I always planned to do the same, if the top octave just started dimming
out on me. I hope it never will happen.

One can tell the difference between the way-sharp top six notes people
and those who just had lost the top end. The hard of hearing top octave
seems to me (following their work, often much later) to take two forms:
either they tried, and were all over the map, and lucky not to break
wire, or they realized their limitations, and at some point the pins no
longer showed any tuning hammer marks and the top octave was sometimes a
little flat.

For those who tune it evenly, just way sharp, I think that was a fashion
for awhile, and mostly very old tuners did that. It didn't phase in
gradually. Suddenly there it was, a semitone or more, and getting worse
with every note. It was always a pleasure to let those notes back down,
and hear them give a great sigh of relief.

I could respect the decision to leave the top section alone, especially
before the days when people could buy a device as an aid. I could just
hope that I never have to keep tuning when past the ability to do it
well, just to keep food on the table. It looks so far like ears won't be
the problem. I'd like, of course, to just go on and on like the
Energizer Bunny ... after all, 75 is only about ten years away. Ten
years doesn't sound like very long, all of a sudden.

Susan Kline