[pianotech] The big discussion

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 27 16:59:56 MST 2011

On 1/27/2011 5:10 PM, Alan Eder wrote:
> Paul,
>
>     Still Aural (with an occasional ETD helper) to the death...or deaf.....
>
> ... which raises one rarely discussed, down-the-road benefit of using an
> Electronic Tuning Aid: eventual, inevitable hearing loss.

I know folks who bought an ETD for just that reason, and it seemed to me
to be a very good reason at that. Their tuning got immediately better,
the killer octaves not flat, and the high trebles and low basses not a
yard sharp anymore. Money well spent.

If I was working in a venue where I tuned the same few pianos many times
a year for concert or studio recording work, or was heavily into
alternative temperaments I'd already be using an ETD for the much
mentioned (repeated) repeatability. If I have to keep tuning beyond my
ability to hear it, I'll most certainly buy and use one.
Ron N