[pianotech] The big discussion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 07:22:22 MST 2011

Except that kids use computers and still learn basic math skills, they use word processors and still learn handwriting and with all the new player mechanisms kids are still learning to play the piano. So much for that theory.

Using an etd doesn't mean you stop using or developing aural skills. It just gives a visual reference to what you are hearing and offers several other useful features which have already been enumerated. Machines like cybertuner offer a very interesting graphic display of the tuning curve that I find makes the process more fun, more interesting, more informative and enhances my awareness of what it is that I am hearing. It reminds me of the rollingball website where the HTs are given a graphic representation. By looking at them you don't hear them but it gives you a visual, structural framework that can enhance your listening experience. The same is true with etds.

Any technology can be abused at the expense of the foundational skills required to use it most effectively but it's an irrational fear that causes one to run from it or not embrace the benefits for that reason.
David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)