[pianotech] The big discussion

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:45:02 MST 2011

David,

I think your hung up on something, and I can't quite figure it out.

Many of us have said multiple times during this discussion that a ETD is a
powerful tool in the hands of a craftsman. But you have to become a
craftsman first!

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>wrote:

> Except that kids use computers and still learn basic math skills, they use
> word processors and still learn handwriting and with all the new player
> mechanisms kids are still learning to play the piano. So much for that
> theory.

*
So much for that theory? So your kids didn't learn to write, or do basic
math?? You're losing me here. *

> Using an etd doesn't mean you stop using or developing aural skills. It
> just gives a visual reference to what you are hearing and offers several
> other useful features which have already been enumerated. Machines like
> cybertuner offer a very interesting graphic display of the tuning curve that
> I find makes the process more fun, more interesting, more informative and
> enhances my awareness of what it is that I am hearing. It reminds me of the
> rollingball website where the HTs are given a graphic representation. By
> looking at them you don't hear them but it gives you a visual, structural
> framework that can enhance your listening experience. The same is true with
> etds.
>
> Any technology can be abused at the expense of the foundational skills
> required to use it most effectively but it's an irrational fear that causes
> one to run from it or not embrace the benefits for that reason.

I'*m not "running from it". I have actually told my clients that some day I
may show up with one. But like yourself, I believe I will have "earned the
right" to use it. *

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter