[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 12:38:24 MST 2011

Susan, Ed...don't forget the facility for alternative temperament
tunings...

In a message dated 1/28/2011 1:16:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
a440a at aol.com writes:

Susan writes:

<<Okay, my list for when a machine is needed now  reads:

(1) for someone who is  losing hearing in the top octave, but needs/wants
to go on working

(2)  for someone doing regular bulk tuning in noisy environments

(3) for  someone often doing tuning for recordings ... at least, for
checking after the  tuning is done aurally, on the second or third day of a session

(4)  pitch raising? (It's still awfully easy to do that aurally, though the
machine  might have some edge)

(5) someone who often has to tune two or three  or however many pianos to
each other, without being able to move them so they  can be played at the
same time. <<

Gee!  All  those apply to me,
1.  (I am  near 60, an excellent dove hunter, built some really nice racing
engines, love  fireworks, motorcycles and ZZ TOP.)
2.  Ever been the tuner for a  concert promoter?
3.  Too  many to count
4.   I use  the pitch correction function for anything that is off by 2
cents or more(why  not, it is free to use, easy to apply,  and I did pay for
it).   I  wonder why the fastidious aural tuner concerns themself with such
clinical  octaves when changing pitch by a couple  or three of cents. I find
that  there will be at least half a cent or more octave discrepancy without
the  correction dialed in, or do aural tuners just guess at where the piano
will  land?  Or does anyone pitch raise the two cents before  tuning????
5. sometimes,  but rarely.  All the pianos I am around are on wheels.......
Regards,
Ed  Foote