[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Jan 28 16:51:27 MST 2011

On 1/28/2011 11:16 AM, Ed Foote wrote:
> 4.   I use the pitch correction function for anything that is off by 2
> cents or more(why not, it is free to use, easy to apply,  and I did
> pay for it).   I wonder why the fastidious aural tuner concerns
> themself with such clinical octaves when changing pitch by a couple
>  or three of cents. I find that there will be at least half a cent or
> more octave discrepancy without the correction dialed in, or do aural
> tuners just guess at where the piano will land?  Or does anyone pitch
> raise the two cents before tuning????
"clinical octaves"? I don't quite get the drift of this. Two or three
cents flat or sharp? Quick pass --- slow pass --- look for strays. (Just
a few minutes, looking for strays.)

> 5. sometimes, but rarely.  All the pianos I am around are on wheels.......

Moving pianos to get at both keyboards at once -- usually not an issue.
Sometimes has been. (the stage behind the pianos is set up for a stage
play that evening, not leaving room enough to swing one around; or
sometimes, the time factor just doesn't allow for it. Or, two pianos
have been set up with an orchestra behind them. And the wheels on the
SD-10 I often tune are extremely contrary, with a mind of their own. I
move the Steinway instead.

Thinking again of your recording comments, I can see that dubbing over
the top of existing tracks would call for very exact and precise
duplication of the previous tuning. Compared to that, splicing between
takes recorded on different days would be far less exacting. (What's a
half cent between friends? I defy 99 out of hundred musicians to discern
it, or 99 of 100 tuners, for that matter, without mechanical aids.)

For you, Ed, an ETD is definitely a professionally required tool.

I forgot #6, which would be "active investigation of non-equal
temperaments". It seems to me that someone who is deep into historic
temperaments might prefer to learn some of them by tuning them from
instructions instead of just plugging in numbers. One would experience
how they were constructed in a more direct manner, and one might
understand their history by tuning them closer to the process those who
devised them used. But I can see that having the ETD with a big library
of them would facilitate trying out more of them with a lot less
investment of time and effort.

For me, after such long exposure to intonation learning the cello (from
age 10 till I got the masters at age 25) followed by about five years of
professional orchestra work, followed by 30+ years of tuning equal
temperaments (1978-present) the scale shape of equal temperament over a
solid base of cello intonation (which is semi-Pythagoran) is so deeply
ingrained that I can't muster the objectivity to evaluate properly the
musical consequences of non-equal temperaments. The notes which are
close to equal register as pretty okay, and the ones which are further
away register as out of tune. Intervals far off equal, either very
narrow major thirds or especially screwy fourths and fifths register
with me as WRONGO!!! just plain OUT OF TUNE. Fifths and fourths which
are pure go down with me just fine after all that cello playing, of
course. The influence of cello intonation makes me very picky about
which directions off equal I can tolerate. I can manage wider major
seconds and major thirds and major sixths quite well. I like skimpy
semitones and narrow minor thirds and minor sixths just fine. But wide
minor thirds or narrow major thirds drive me batty. You see, this sounds
like sleazy cello playing, where the two types of thirds have wandered
toward each other, increasing ambiguity. On the contrary, when the
difference between major and minor intervals is increased a little past
equal temperament, it sounds (one might say) emphatic to me. In a way,
it sounds like a higher quality construction, especially combined with
pure fifths. It sounds architecturally strong, one might say. For equal
temperament, one gets used to the slight blurring of the intervals, just
from long exposure. A good stretch in the octaves decreases the
sleaziness of the (imperfect) perfect fifths and fourths. Smaller pianos
increase the crud and cloud the texture. Clarity, one really likes
clarity, and good temperament and stretch increases it a lot. Just my
take, not trying to proselytize about it, more like an attempt to
explain where I am coming from.

Too bad in some ways, when people express rapture about a particular
temperament and all I can hear it OUT OF TUNE! -- but that is the way it
worked out. Pretty good in others. All those years of work on cello
intonation (I was very good at it) gave me an automatic octave stretch
which fits a solo piano nearly perfectly with the string sections of a
good orchestra. My understanding of wind intonation and how they tune
intervals is considerably lacking, especially for the brass. I do know
that it is different, and I hear a lot on recordings which I am not very
fond of.

Pardon the length and the digression .......

Susan