[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 12:16:34 MST 2011

Susan writes:

<<Okay, my list for when a machine is needed now reads:
     (1) for someone who is losing hearing in the top octave, but    needs/wants to go on working

    (2) for someone doing regular bulk tuning in noisy environments

    (3) for someone often doing tuning for recordings ... at least, for    checking after the tuning is done aurally, on the second or third    day of a session

    (4) pitch raising? (It's still awfully easy to do that aurally,    though the machine might have some edge)

    (5) someone who often has to tune two or three or however many    pianos to each other, without being able to move them so they can be    played at the same time. <<

Gee!  All those apply to me,
1.  (I am near 60, an excellent dove hunter, built some really nice racing engines, love fireworks, motorcycles and ZZ TOP.)
2.  Ever been the tuner for a concert promoter?
3.  Too many to count
4.   I use the pitch correction function for anything that is off by 2 cents or more(why not, it is free to use, easy to apply,  and I did pay for it).   I wonder why the fastidious aural tuner concerns themself with such clinical octaves when changing pitch by a couple  or three of cents. I find that there will be at least half a cent or more octave discrepancy without the correction dialed in, or do aural tuners just guess at where the piano will land?  Or does anyone pitch raise the two cents before tuning????
5. sometimes, but rarely.  All the pianos I am around are on wheels.......
Regards,
Ed Foote