[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Jan 28 09:22:36 MST 2011

> When overdubs are done in a recording studio, a cent or two can make a
> difference, particularly in the bass.  And if anyone thinks that they
> can aurally put C6 in as consistent a place as the SAT (say, within .5
> cents), I will have to see it to believe it.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html

Yes, Ed, point taken. I was thinking about your post last night, and
realized that if I were tuning for multi-day recordings on a regular
basis, instead of about as often as lightning strikes, I would use an
ETD, as insurance, and also so I could sometimes touch up tunings while
being sure that whole areas hadn't shifted a cent or two, instead of
doing it all from scratch every day.

Okay, my list for when a machine is needed now reads:

(1) for someone who is losing hearing in the top octave, but needs/wants
to go on working

(2) for someone doing regular bulk tuning in noisy environments

(3) for someone often doing tuning for recordings ... at least, for
checking after the tuning is done aurally, on the second or third day of
a session

(4) pitch raising? (It's still awfully easy to do that aurally, though
the machine might have some edge)

(5) someone who often has to tune two or three or however many pianos to
each other, without being able to move them so they can be played at the
same time.

So, I won't get one just yet ................. but I don't think they
all belong on the bonfire. Well, I never thought that, I just didn't
want to use one.

Notice what isn't on the list: a way to start tuning for money without
doing one's aural homework first.

Regards,
Susan