[pianotech] Repeat customers

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 05:33:13 MST 2011

>Do you ever get the "oh the piano isn't played much" routine only to have
no repat business from a person?  This seems to be my trouble - Marshall<

I was thinking this over some more after I wrote my first set of
suggestions, and I realize that there is something else that I do that I
think helps me in making appointments.

I have a "mental set" that I use when I sit down to do my calling for
customers who are not pre-booked. Before dialing, I imagine that the
customer has been fretting on her end about how badly the piano needs
tuning, and that my call is just what she was hoping for.

I work on projecting that positive attitude over the phone line. "Mrs.
Smith? This is Chuck Behm, your piano tuner. Say, your  piano is due to be
tuned, and I wanted to check with you about setting up a date for scheduling
a time slot. Do you have your calendar handy?"

Once in a while the comeback is negative, but most times I end up scheduling
a job.

If you're uncertain when you call, you'll be more likely to lead off with
something like this -  "Mrs. Smith, this is Chuck Behm, your piano tuner. I
was wondering if you want to get your piano tuned or not?"   When you put
it  that way, more than likely it will be "or not."

That goes along with what I said at the end of my last set of comments,
Marshall. Be positive! I tend to sense that you sometimes get down on
yourself and your situation, Marshall. Believe me, we all go through rough
patches in both life and in business. Look for the light at the end of the
tunnel. *Focus on the light and take it as your challenge to get there*.

Imagine your calendar for the upcoming year full to the brim with
appointments. *You can make it happen, but you have to start by selling
yourself and your service*. Put that positive attitude in your voice with
every call you make! Chuck

P.S. You have the backing of everyone on this list, Marshall. That's like a
big bag full of gold! You'll succeed, Marshall. You have plenty of friends
here who are sending positive vibes your way on a daily basis!