[pianotech] verituner question

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 07:17:48 MST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Ron Koval <drwoodwind at hotmail.com> wrote:

> John Formsma asks about Ron Koval's statemnt:
> > 2.  Pre-sample the piano.  It takes between 5-10 minutes to play one
> string
> > from each note A0-C7.  Fill the "I"s as much as you are willing to spend
> > time,
> > but especially in the temperament section.  You only have to do this once
> > for
> > each client if you save files and re-use them for the next visits.
> >

> Is this in the current user manual? I don't remember it being in mine. But
> that was in 2004.
>
> *************************************
>
> I don't need no stinkin' manual!!  ;-)
>
> As you may know I've gone "off road" with
> a lot of Verituner experiments...  Dave Carpenter told me most techs are
> happy
> to put the machine on "average" and just get to tuning.  I'm a bit more
> restless
> than that.  Many of the things I've written about or tried won't be found
> in the manual.
>
> Ron Koval
> chicagoland

Hmmm.

I went "off-road" when I got on the Verituner train. But now I'm back on the
straight and narrow.

OK, just kidding. :-)

Of course, the Verituner does good tunings, even on the average setting.
(And, if a machine helps someone tune well who could not otherwise tune
well, that's helpful.) I'm sure the top four ETDs (SAT, RCT, Tunelab, and
Verituner) all do good tunings. Good tunings will satisfy almost all of our
customers. If I were just playing and not listening as a tuner to the
nuances of a tuning, I'd probably be satisfied with it. But, the better my
ear got, the less satisfied I became with letting a screen dictate my tuning
choices. (And particularly when I found myself correcting it more often than
not.)

The Verituner discourages aural checks and tests. If I remember correctly,
there is even the possibility of altering the "best" tuning if one plays a
test note before the *I* is filled. In my opinion, the VT is the least
helpful ETD for someone who wants to check and test during the tuning
process.

--
JF