[pianotech] repeat customers

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:27:21 MST 2011

Yeah, good stuff Chuck!

One of the problems with recommending the "once a year" tuning, is that (at
least in my area) the pianos sound way better after a year then after 5 or 6
months!

The changing the oil analogy is a little problematic because not tuning your
piano does not physically damage it like not changing the oil on your car.

I give people the facts as best I can in a way that they can understand and
then its up to them. The reality is the tuning may last  several months, or
a week depending on what is going on with the environment and the stability
of the piano. At what point it becomes intolerable to the client is widely
variable.

I loved Ed Sutton's editorial this month about intonation. It fits my
experience. Some professionals can be amazingly tolerant of instruments that
are poorly voiced, regulated, and tuned. Some amateurs can be very picky.

It is a good idea to simply ask the client if they would like a reminder
about piano service, and ask them when they would like it. I know some
technicians who have the client fill out a postcard, so that when they
receive it in the mail the recognize their own handwriting.

Another good idea is to tell the client how much you appreciate
word-of-mouth referrals and how that is your favorite way to get new
clients. Sometimes we just forget to ask for what we want!

Lastly, Marshall, make sure you have some mentors who can help you along.
Having a relationship with a successful piano service business owner is a
big deal. It's been priceless for me!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter