[pianotech] Synchronous tunings (more)

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Sat Jan 29 11:12:57 MST 2011

Ryan,

I was surprised to read in the quote you shared from Steve Brady, RPT stated,
"… a pitch difference of as much as four cents …" etc. comment

The important thing is it was qualified with "… in emergency situations …"

We all live with emergency situations and endure the outcome.

Example:
I was scheduled to tune for a Concerto-Aria performance one year.
The performance was schedule for the month of February.
However, the schedule I was given stated March.

On the day of the performance, while in a supermarket shopping,
   I crossed paths with a colleague who said, "I'm certainly looking forward to
   tonight's program." To which I said, "What performance?"

OMG…there had been no pre-tuning for rehearsals, nor any of the previous
   month on the piano being used.

As you might guess, I immediately stopped shopping, went to the auditorium.
Oops, there was a dress rehearsal in progress. Couldn't stop that.

So, I was only left with one option, an hour window to put this piano in tune
   between the end of that rehearsal and the beginning of the program,
   not counting the orchestra members hanging around
   doing their final adjustments for whatever reasons, and
   not counting the number of persons who
   were starting to come into the auditorium for the program.

So I had to make an executive decision, right or wrong. Tune the piano where it was in pitch,
   or attempt two passes to bring it to pitch. Neither did I like.

I decided that the since two rehearsals had already taken place
   and those involved had to adjust to the existent pitch.
   (which as my memory recalls, was at least, 4 cents or more flat from A440. Yikes!)

I floated it at the location where the majority of the center strings were,
  by strip muting and visually reading that information via RCT,
  brought in the stragglers and cleaned up the unisons.

Acceptance by the pianist, orchestra members and audience was not relevant.
It is just what went down that evening because of an emergency situation.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT
pianostuff.kamcam.com