[pianotech] Worn hammers breaking strings

Claude M. Harding charding88 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 11:22:49 MST 2011

Through the years I've heard, and sometimes repeated, the conventional
wisdom that says worn hammers are more likely to

break strings.  I recently refrained from saying it again because I realized
that I really don't know why this may be true.

I'm not necessarily doubting it, but if it IS true, I would appreciate a
"Readers Digest"-version explanation of the physics involved,

 or the "address" where I could find such an explanation.

Help appreciated.

Claude Harding