[pianotech] Worn hammers breaking strings

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 17:13:57 MST 2011

Claude,

The short and simple version:

Properly shaped hammers push up on the string with a curved profile which
(sort of) matches the natural curve that is formed in the wire by the shock.
The force of the hammer against the string pulls against the front
termination (agraffe / capo) and throws a nice big wave in the string
towards the bridge.  Within a few microseconds this shock wave settles down
into a relatively consistent vibration of the string throughout its length.
It is the initial pulling and bending up motion of the string that is most
stressful for the wire.

A flat topped hammer pushes up on the wire with a flat surface, which in
itself is harder on the wire.  Plus, the edge of that flat surface is closer
to the termination point.   This increases the stress on the wire because
the transfer of energy into the wire is not as efficient, because it too
close to the termination for proper "leverage" if you will.  The "yank" on
the string is sharper and harder, and from the hammers point of view the
string is less yielding.

Worn hammers in themselves do not cause string breakage, but tests have
shown that they clearly increase the metal fatigue in the wire at the
proximal termination.  The longer the string grooves are, the higher the
stress.

Don Mannino