[pianotech] Q & A Roundtable

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 29 13:24:15 MST 2011

On 1/29/2011 2:06 PM, Mr. Mac's wrote:

> Sorry if I stirred up a potential hornet's nest.

Hi Keith,
Not your fault.

> I simply found after reading the Q&A, your technique and conclusions to be very interesting.

It just takes playing with it for a while to find out if it's real or
not. I'll never understand how stuff like this generates so much argument.

> So, I look forward to examining what I currently do
>     and implementing your concepts.

Just play with it. Quickly tune the second string to the first aurally
until it's within a beat, listen to the eeooowwww (yow), and see how
closely spaced you can make the blows and still hear that sound. Keep
hitting it that quickly, and tune away the yow. Pull the mute and do the
same for the third string compared to the first two. It'll be weird and
awkward at first, but if you don't fairly quickly find that you can tune
a unison as well as ever this way in significantly less time, go back to
what you usually do. The thing is to actually give it a try instead of
just looking down your nose at it, before writing it off.

> I've always found you have ways that prove to be extremely interesting,
>      and personally, are another whole breed of animal, that is, to me anyway.

You just don't hear about the failures and really dumb ideas. That's all.
Ron N