[pianotech] Steinway Grand

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 15:26:18 MST 2011

    I looked more intensively at the Steinway today, and still cannot find any other numbers than the C3060 anywhere.  Even on the bottom of the keyslip, and on the belly, or anywhere else that the C3060 is stamped.  Thanks to all who tried to help!

Clark
  According to Barron's book "Piano'" pg 208 "The case number, a letter followed by 4 digits ---- K0862 , for example---- is assigned when the case is bent and is used to track the piano in the factory. The letter changes at the beginning of each year. In 2004 the case numbers began with L, and in 2005 with M. ( I and O are not used, because those letters could be confused with ONES and ZEROS. Nor are there Q, X, Y or Z years. The Q could be mistaken for an O or a zero; as for the others, Steinway has just never bothered with them.)  By the way, the CD numbers for concert pianos can be reused when the piano is retired.  I'm sorry if I confused you.  This might help you with piano trying to be aged. Good Luck.
    Carlos