[pianotech] Steinway Grand

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 22:13:23 MST 2011

Thanks, Carlos.

Paul

In a message dated 1/28/2011 10:19:14 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ceralon at comcast.net writes:

Paul,
According to Barron's book "Piano'" pg 208 "The case number, a letter
followed by 4 digits ---- K0862 , for example---- is assigned when the case is
bent and is used to track the piano in the factory. The letter changes at
the beginning of each year. In 2004 the case numbers began with  L, and in
2005 with M. ( I and O are not used, because those letters could be  confused
with ONES and ZEROS. Nor are there Q, X, Y or Z years. The Q could be
mistaken for an O or a zero; as for the others, Steinway has just never  bothered
with them.)  By the way, the CD numbers for concert pianos can  be reused
when the piano is retired.  I'm sorry if I confused you.   This might help
you with piano trying to be aged. Good Luck.
Carlos