[pianotech] Steinway Grand

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 15:39:12 MST 2011

Call Steinway. Maybe they can give you some guidance.

In a message dated 1/29/2011 4:27:26 P.M. Central Standard Time,
CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com writes:

    I looked more intensively at the Steinway today, and  still cannot find
any other numbers than the C3060 anywhere.  Even on the  bottom of the
keyslip, and on the belly, or anywhere else that the C3060 is  stamped.  Thanks
to all who tried to help!

Clark

According to Barron's book "Piano'" pg 208 "The case number, a  letter
followed by 4 digits ---- K0862 , for example---- is assigned when  the case is
bent and is used to track the piano in the factory. The  letter changes at
the beginning of each year. In 2004 the  case numbers began with L, and in
2005 with M. ( I and O are not  used, because those letters could be confused
with ONES and ZEROS. Nor are  there Q, X, Y or Z years. The Q could be
mistaken for an O or a zero; as for  the others, Steinway has just never bothered
with them.)  By the way,  the CD numbers for concert pianos can be reused
when the piano is  retired.  I'm sorry if I confused you.  This might help
you with  piano trying to be aged. Good Luck.

Carlos