[pianotech] Respect

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Jan 30 00:24:00 MST 2011

On 1/29/2011 2:15 PM, Ron Koval wrote:
> I believe
> that it is the slower beating intervals that lead the way to this goal...
I set octaves to where I think they are the best, and I also check
fourths and fifths (below, usually, at least in the treble, above in the
bass, of course) all the way to the very top and bottom of the piano. I
think if the octave stretch works very well, and the fourths and fifths
are all as good as the stretch and the Pythagorean Comma allow, the
tuning will have great clarity and evenness. Tempering between fourths,
fifths, and octaves during the whole process weaves all the notes into a
web of the scale as we go, and also tends to even out minor
discrepancies of the temperament and scaling.

One can see this clarity by playing open chords (octaves with fifths or
fourths inside them, but no thirds.) If those are ALL good and lucid,
then something very right is happening with the tuning.

So, yes, I agree, the slower beating intervals are gold.

Susan