[pianotech] Terry's Comments<G>

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Jan 29 17:58:24 MST 2011

True -- and it is because this is where the real money is in spinet
remanufacturing these are the kinds of things we try to keep secret! Don't
ever tell anyone what you're doing! (Of course, there are those cynics who
would say it's best to keep these projects secret because if anyone ever
finds out what you are doing they'll be sending in the ex-wrestler types
with the white coats and straps to have a chat with you; but what do they
know?)

As to your concerns:
1) I'd not worry about the removal of the original tone wood. It is common
knowledge that tonewood does not even start to improve significantly until
it is at least 100 years old. Indeed, I some surprised you don't already
know this. As you are only removing half of aging time, the new tone wood
will catch up in no time at all. There is another possibility: if you wanted
to keep the authentic resonance of the hand-selected and processed Authentic
Tone Spruce that was harvested from the 2,450 foot level of the west slope
of Mt Olympus, you can probably slice the original in half and still have
enough wood to make up a whole new soundboard. For true authenticity you
could use the left over wood to make the new cutoff bars. This would have
the advantage of matching the resonances of the new soundboard to those of
the cutoff bars.

2) I realize that what I'm going to suggest was not invented--by Aeolian, to
give full credit -- until the 1960s but...you might consider just spreading
the damper pedal and the soft pedal apart some and installing a third pedal
between them. The spring Aeolian used to support the middle pedal was
probably proprietary but a technician of your skill and experience should be
able to adapt a genuine custom-crafted Ace Hardware spring to serve a
similar function; basically that of holding the pedal up to make it look
like it was actually serving some useful function.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
620 South Tower Avenue