[pianotech] Terry's Comments<G>

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 16:17:54 MST 2011

Hey Del!

Wacko for sure, but fun.

You'd be interested to know that the bass bridge carries 35 notes and
that the lowest tenor notes are only 4 semitones down from mid C. It
is on these 4 semitones (the lowest two of which are bi-chords) where
the bridge hooks back, but not too severely. The lowest 8 or 9 lowest
tenor notes are cantilevered, as is the entire bass. Of the 35 bass
notes, 22 are singles.

The soundboard panel, from what i can see at the nosebolt holes (3 of
them), is far too thick for this little piano.

No cut off bars, and the rib scale indicates no real thought --- all
ribs equally spaced and are equally tall (deep) regardless of length.
Yes, rescale, move the bridges a bit and maybe add a short tenor
bridge (plenty of room for it), add cutoffs, rescale the ribs, have
Dale and the Ronsen folks make up a secret, proprietary set of
hammers.

This kind of re-engineering is where the big money is in spinets. I
have two concerns here: 1) such drastic surgery (especially removing
the original tone-woods) might destroy the instrument's inherent
beauty of tone thereby lessening its value, and 2) after all this work
the piano will still have only two pedals --- I could never sell it
;-)

As to "I really didn’t think there would be two of us….", I'm grinning
as you surely know how profound and widespread your knowledge and
influence has been. But as you mean to say that there may be only two
of us crazy enough to re-engineer a lowly spinet, perhaps so ---- but
when I actually do the work, there definitely will be one!

Attached is a photo of the plate "stamp" clearing showing April 19,
1946. Photo is a bit fuzzy but clear enough; and what appears to be a
crack in the plate is not.

Hope all is well, and see ya soon at WESTPAC.

Cheers!

NG