[pianotech] The big discussion

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:42:33 MST 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> On 1/29/2011 11:01 AM, Ryan Sowers wrote:
>
>> I believe it means that when doing the final tuning of the third string
>> of a unison, all three strings are left open.
>>

> I wasn't aware there was anyone tuning who *didn't* finish unisons with all
> three strings open. Is that really done?

Gosh, I hope not. I always notice shift in some unisons after the whole
thing is finally tuned. Final unison check before presenting an invoice is a
must, IMO.

> The best test of a unison I've found after you get done messing with it is
> to play the octave to a previously tuned unison. Even though individual
> strings sound fine in the octave, and even though both unisons sound fine
> individually, it's surprising what playing the two together will uncover.
> The more strings you get involved, the better your chances of uncovering
> something you weren't aware of.

Right. It's not something I always do, but it works well. Did this earlier
this afternoon at a concert tuning. With four octaves, going up and down
chromatically. Really shows up even small errors.

Have you also noticed that 3rds make pretty good unison checks? Minor 3rds
in the tenor/midrange, and major 3rds in other places.

--
JF