[pianotech] False beats (was in response to a post)

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Sun Jan 30 05:55:08 MST 2011

On Jan 30, 2011, at 12:55 AM, John Ross wrote:

> On the false beat question.
> Rather than wondering if the ETD can 'read' it. Wouldn't it be better to try and get rid of the false beat?

Hi John,

Of course, if that were an easy thing to do.

Next time you come across a console or spinet
   that has an inordinate number of treble music wires
   with false beats, remove the action and look at the
   bridge pins and their respective locations
   to what is versus what ought to be.

Now if you know what the desired ideal is
   for the exact location of bridge pins,
I am going to guess what you find won't be pretty.
And I'm going to guess you won't be taking the
   time to do anything about it, but say, "Oh my."

Their are other factors that contribute
   to the false beat world as well.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT