[pianotech] in response to a post

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 08:41:31 MST 2011

Marshall,

You have to watch telemarketing big time.  If people are on the Do Not Call
Registry and you call them anyway and they report your phone number to the
Do Not Call Registry and I am one to do this because I am listed with them,
it is a HUGE fine.  Something like $10,000!!!!  So, watch that!!

EDT's are not infallible and have a very difficult time picking up false
beats at times.  Bad ones in particular and mismatched strings.  For fun, I
had a piano this past Friday that I tuned, where one string was, well, just
God Awful!!  Impossible to in tune because of not only having false strings
but, it sounded like a universal wire, just horrible.  RCT wanted to place
one of the two bass wires pretty close to in tune, but, not exactly.  The
better of the two.  The other one, however, it wanted to tune WAY FLAT!
About 2-3 beats per 2nd flat or thereabouts, I didn't count it.  I turned
RCT off and finished the whole bass by ear.  That's why, it's important to
be able to tune by ear too.

The hammer could have been warped too but, many pianos install them with
very little clearance at the factory to begin with or with lousy traveling..

Jer