[pianotech] Player piano question.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 30 13:31:58 MST 2011

On 1/30/2011 12:59 PM, Chuck Behm wrote:

> Here's my question. With the past rebuilds, I've decided that the gluing
> method that I used to attach the bellows to the decks has not proved as
> tight as I would like.  I used hot animal hide glue, and clamped the
> bellows with Jiffy clamps overnight. But now, 20 or 30 years later, I
> don't think the seals are completely tight.

Them's pneumatics, incidentally, specifically striker pneumatics. Hot
hide is the way to go, as it's most effective and least destructive in
the long run. If your shop is anywhere above 60° (65°+ is better), you
don't need to preheat. What you do need is a proper gram strength glue,
mixed to a usable consistency, a means of clamping the pneumatic to the
deck immediately and firmly, and moving quickly enough that the glue
doesn't gel. A gram strength of no more than 192 is recommended. That
will give you good adhesion and working time. It's also the preferred
glue for key bushings, dampers, and general felt work. I hang hammers
with it too, or Pianotek's glue. Pianotek's 251 gram glue is good too,
though not as friendly for general purpose work, and I don't recommend
it for player work. It's better for hammers than the 192, as it stays
put better and gels quicker. Schaff's 370-399 gram weight glue is well
out of the range of anything I have a use for. I find it impossible to use.

Aeolian used to bed a layer of what looks like cheesecloth between the
pneumatic and the deck, though I typically don't replace it.

If something's leaking in the player after 20 years, I'd bet it's not
the pneumatic bedding joint. Did you do the valves, pouches, and all
gaskets the first round?

Ron N