[pianotech] 6 strings versus 200 + strings

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Mon Jan 31 07:36:56 MST 2011

List,

Something happened many years ago (late 1900s') that startled me.

During a seminar a colleague and I took a break,
   whereupon he shared with me his Martin guitar
   in his hotel room.

Customarily, when someone pulls a guitar out of a case
   and hands it to me, my first instinct is to check the tuning.
So, I did that, and decided some changes needed to be made.

Pause:
As an aside, the few Martin guitars I have experienced have had
   high actions (strings very far up from the fretboard), hence
   making it extremely difficult to satisfy any efforts on my part
   to produce a harmonious tuning to my ears.

Unpause:
So, after fooling around, I did the best I could do, played a few chords,
   decided the high action was killing my fingers, and
   handed that guitar back to the owner and acknowledged
   the best compliment I could muster to the owner.

Want to guess what the first thing that happened after that?
He retuned what I had just tuned. Holy Mackerel!

Here two so-called RPTs' had completely different ideas
  as to what sounded correct with this 6-string Martin guitar.

Imagine, if you will, what is going on
   when discussion takes place regarding a piano tuning,
   the methodology used and each individual's perceptions.

Excuse me, but Holy Mackerel, again!

These are some early Monday morning thoughts following
   last week's intensive discussions.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT
pianostuff.kamcam.com