[pianotech] 6 strings versus 200 + strings

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 08:02:49 MST 2011

Keith writes:
During a seminar a colleague and I took a break,
   whereupon he shared with me his Martin guitar
   in his hotel room.

Here two so-called RPTs' had completely different ideas
  as to what sounded correct with this 6-string Martin guitar.<<

  I am constantly amazed at how few guitarists know how to tune a guitar, and I live in Guitar Town!
I have never seen any of the guitarists that consider the need to have the G-B third beating slower than the G-E
sixth!  And stretching the fourths from the G down to the low E is an alien concept.
I have shown a few of them how to accurately tune the thing, and it always blows them away, but the common remark
is that it would be impossible to do this on stage, and in the "heat of battle" in  studio sessions, it would be
difficult, also.  But every one of them has told me that the guitar has never sounded more even.
It ain't that hard to do, using 1st fret test notes for the fourths above...
Regards,
Ed Foote