[pianotech] Nitrocellulose Lacquer: Stirred, Shaken, or Left Alone?

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Mon Jan 31 10:41:17 MST 2011

Paul,
You did not mention how the hammer lacquering did not meet your
expectations. Applying lacquer to hammers incorporates many techniques
depending upon your goal. Generally I find that soaking the entire hammer
does not produce a round tone with a strong attack -- a generalized
definition of good tone. Depending upon the felt hardness you may find that
a complete soaking will produce too much in the upper harmonics and leave
you with weak fundamentals, though a complete soaking might be appropriate
as you approach octave 7  where you would tend to want a more firm hammer
(felt) throughout. Keytop acetone may be more effective in the top 4 to 6
hammers only as lacquer is generally too soft to accomplish your target
hardness. Keep in mind that lacquer "plays out", and as such, breaks down in
the surface area and will change the tone after a short playing period.
Reapplication would be required to restore the hammer to your target tone.
Another technique of applying lacquer to those hammers that may need a small
"nudge" is to apply a small amount of lacquer that is thick as molasses to
the crown only. This thick lacquer will not penetrate the felt as much and
will increase the attack and not destroy the desirable fundamentals that may
already be present.
Roger Gable