[pianotech] Nitrocellulose Lacquer: Stirred, Shaken, or Left Alone?

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Mon Jan 31 12:01:31 MST 2011

Hi, Paul,

Nick has excellent advice here...very well thought through.

The additional note I would offer is that, from a traditional (older)
standpoint, it's best to listen to the hammers in the piano before
doing anything to them; and then to proceed with other voicing
techniques.  This step allows you to determine how much of what (if
anything) might be necessary.  Generally, the hammers will need at
least some shaping (though fortunately no where near as much as was
required some years ago), before adding any hardening solution, at
all.  Such shaping should be in line with what you have also
determined to be the appropriate weight for the hammer, and should
also be fairly complete...that is, hammers fitted to strings,
"polished", etc...so that they are actually in the ballpark of where
they will be as an end product.  People always seem to be amazed how
much difference simply shaping the hammers will make.

After that, I do try (when it's possible) to hear the piano again
before adding hardener.  Depending on your perception of the needs of
the instrument, I agree with Nick that I generally prefer to add a
solution between 4:1 and 6:1 in strength, to the shoulder areas he
notes.  If you are not familiar with this process, you might try
using either lacquer sanding sealer and/or lacquer thinner rather
than lacquer and/or acetone for a few sets until you find your
way.  The advantage of sanding sealer is that it tends to break down
(and can be added to later without prejudice); and that of lacquer
thinner is that it works more slowly, allowing you to more accurately
gauge where the solution is flowing in the hammers.  (If you do use
lacquer thinner, plan on allowing your solution to harden overnight
before testing.)  While using acetone will definitely speed this
process up, it flashes off so quickly that, especially if you are new
to this kind of work, you might not actually see where the solution
is going, and thus wind up with uneven "doses" of hardener throughout
the hammer set.

One other note, which I do recognize is both old-fashioned and
currently controversial (although it is not my intent to be
so):  Needling, as presently taught, produces a clearly audibly
discernable difference in tone than using the older technique of
working through the shoulders up toward the crown.  The questions
become those of artistic perception and individual concepts of what
constitutes "good"/"acceptable" piano tone.  PLUG: If we have time
during the classes I'm scheduled to teach at WESTPAC, we'll have some
listening examples of different voicing styles as well as recording techniques.

One additional point is that piano voicing, especially as to S&S
products, has morphed dramatically over the years.  Factory and
concert techniques are different, and have been different (by and
large) for many decades specifically because different purposes are
being served.  One size does not fit all; and it rapidly becomes a
question of how our individual techniques as technicians intersect
with and/or compliment the musical demands made by artists of
different schools, ages, and capabilities.

Best.

Horace