[pianotech] the big discussion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 31 12:55:44 MST 2011

We were talking about the tuning contest, and David Love was pointing
out that many aural tuners in daily work probably didn't reach nearly to
Virgil's standards, as least, that's how I read it. He seemed to be
saying that the real contest in ordinary daily work on low quality
pianos with time limitations was between an AVERAGE RPT aural tuner and
an unaltered out-of-the-box ETD tuning, and that's where the rubber met
the road, for tunings as actually done in the field. Here is what he said:

<<Something else to consider is that Virgil is a very highly skilled
aural tuner, arguably more highly skilled than most. So with your
average pass the exam at 85% RPT, how would they compare with an out of
the box tuning from an etd--let's assume solid unisons on both. Then you
should ask how many aural tuners actually apply the rigorous aural
checks at each tuning (especially the fourth or fifth one of the day on
the little upright that also needed a 50 cent pitch correction) to
insure that they achieve a finely honed temperament octave and a uniform
and balanced stretch. Then, I think, we have our real comparison where
the rubber actually meets the road.>>

And I was pointing out that the only truly valid criteria for evaluating
actual tunings in the field were the musical results, as experienced by
pianists and listeners. You could (and no doubt many will) argue that a
tuning which tests better on an ETD will be more musical as well. I'm
not so sure this is universally true in all conditions. It just seemed
to me that we shouldn't lose sight of the real aim of our work, whatever
the tools used. He does talk about the need for an exact temperament
octave and a balanced stretch, which surely are desirable, and he
suggests we consider solid unisons a given; so he has mentioned some
musical qualities. Just how exact a temperament needs to be to give a
musically excellent result seems a pretty shaky platform, to me. They
can vary a great deal, and people often like them better than exactly
equal.

On consideration, I'd say that our #1 task is to get as musical a result
as possible, but a close second is stability when the piano is subjected
to its expected use.

Susan